What is The Flooring Guild?
- The Flooring Guild was founded in 1999 by a group of like minded individuals who wished to raise standards in the flooring and floorcoverings industry through training and educational programmes.
- We do not have shareholders in the conventional sense.
- Instead we are a not for profit organisation which means that all surplus income and sponsorship is returned to our members in terms of training support.
- In legal parlance we are a company limited by guarantee – Registered in England Number 3803478.
What are the aims of the Flooring Guild?
- Our industry, and its future success, relies on recruiting and retaining the right staff.
- The Flooring Guild aims to establish a publicly recognised qualification for professional retailers.
- We believe the industry would benefit from a formal Induction Programme for people coming into the industry and a Skills Development Programme for those currently employed in it.
- This should provide an appropriate career path to attract, motivate and keep staff of the right calibre.
Why should I join The Flooring Guild?
- We aim to provide visible recognition for the most professional individuals within the industry and give competitive advantage to the companies who employ them.
- Membership of The Flooring Guild is open to all individuals and companies who demonstrate a genuine commitment to raise the standards of knowledge and service within the industry.
- Consequently we provide practical help for individuals who wish to improve their personal knowledge and skills as well as assistance to companies in creating a staff development programme suitable for the needs of their business and staff.
- In addition we actively seek funding which is used exclusively to subsidise training and development for our Members.
- Whether you are an individual or a company we can help you select a development programme which suits YOU and YOUR business.
Is there any financial help for training?
- Flooring Guild courses are open to anyone employed in the flooring industry.
- However, the Flooring Guild has a training budget which is used exclusively for the benefit of our Members.
- Whether it's Induction Training for new staff or a Skills Development Programme for experienced ones, financial help is available.
- If you would like to discuss funding for training, please contact us free on 01480 471476 or email your request to email@example.com
Which suppliers do you work with?
- Suppliers, who encouraged and supported us at the outset, include Axminster Carpets, Ball & Young, British Wool, Antron® Carpet Fibres and Wools of New Zealand.
- With their joint backing, we established an Induction Programme for people coming into the industry and a Skills Development Programme for more experienced staff.
- Support from manufacturers has steadily increased and a full list of Sponsors can be found on this website.
What type of training do you offer?
- Training courses are offered, normally at a manufacturing location, on a regional basis and currently attract many hundreds of salespeople and managers each year.
- The Flooring Guild, in association with leading manufacturers and suppliers, offers product knowledge training on Carpets, Rugs and Wood & Laminates.
- Other specialised courses include Planning & Estimating, Selling Skills, Selling with Colour, Customer Service and Management Training.
Where do I have to go for training?
- Much of our training takes place at our purpose built training and conference centre at St Neots in Cambridgeshire.
- However, in response to demand, we run selected training courses at regional locations throughout the year.
- Details of the current schedule can be found on this website.
- If required, most of our programmes can also be delivered "in-house".
- In-house training is the perfect solution if you have a group of people with the same training requirement or need customised training to reflect the nature of your business.
- In these circumstances, it can be the most cost-effective option since the course is then delivered at a location of your choice minimising travelling and accommodation expenses for those attending.
- For further information about In-House training please telephone 01480 471476 or use the enquiry form on this website.
- For convenience a number of Modules are available as a DISTANCE LEARNING PROGRAMME allowing you to study at your own pace and at a time that suits you.
- For further information about Distance Learning Materials please telephone 01480 471476 or use the enquiry form on this website.
How will training help my business?
- Today's Customers are better informed, more selective and more demanding than ever before and businesses that ignore this fact Do so at their peril.
- The challenge for the industry is how we respond and, indeed, take advantage of this situation. The answer lies in a better-trained staff who understand their Customers and know how to deal with them in the most effective way.
- Training has a vital role to play in the success of all businesses and it is unfortunate that so many companies fail to recognise its true value.
- They often spend large sums of money on advertising, display systems and other mechanisms for “selling the product” but very little on developing the ability of their staff.
What sort of training should I consider?
- For new staff, a well-planned induction programme will pave the way for future success.
- Existing staff can build on their knowledge through our advanced development programmes.
- Experienced staff can prove their competence by working towards the Diploma in Retail Floorcoverings.
Can the Flooring Guild really help?
- You may think that no one else will really understand your business and that training will be a waste of money.
- Please think again.
- Our courses are written and presented BY flooring people FOR flooring people.
- All our trainers have graduated “from the shop floor” and have been able to combine practical retail experience with textbook theory into a comprehensive and effective training resource.
How do I join The Flooring Guild?
- There are three categories of membership.
- Individual Membership is available to individuals employed in the flooring industry in any capacity and costs £35.00 plus VAT per annum.
- Corporate Membership is available to small to medium sized flooring retailers and contractors operating from business premises and costs £100.00 plus VAT per annum.
- Patron Membership is available to larger retailers, contractors and suppliers and costs £250.00 plus VAT per annum.
- To find out more about the benefits available to Members or to apply for membership please telephone 01480 471476 or use the enquiry form on this website.